Monday, January 16, 2012

Faux old window - for those who can't find one

It seems like everyone has a cute old window to decorate with.

Not me, I have not been lucky in finding them.

What do I do when I want something and I can't find it or it is too expensive?

Why, I make it of course.



This used to frame a picture of sailboats.
I found it for $6 at a thrift shop. 

Heres what I did:

I got the wood to divide the frame into sections at Lowes.
It was just some thin, flat trim. It cost $2.
(forgot to take pics of this sorry)

I measured and cut it to size.
Two pieces for the front, and two for the back.
Measure twice cut once.
The back pieces were slightly longer then the ones for the front.



Happy accident here, while the white spray paint was drying the temperature dropped.
The paint dried unevenly and crackled.
Normally this would frustrate me, I like a nice smooth spray paint finish.
But in faux old window making it worked out perfectly.


I glued and then taped the dividers on to hold them in place while they dried.


Total cost? $11 including the spray-paint.

Now would you ever guess that it's not a real old window?

Maybe only upon close examination.

Thanks!

5 comments:

Katie said...

ahhhhhh....I want a window. I have crafters envy. Thanks for the tute on how you did it all :) Looks great!
you should join me for Handmade 52 http://raisingoranges.blogspot.com/2012/01/diy-photo-canvas.html

Helen said...

UMMM, you're a genuis!!! I did happen to find a great old window at ReStore but haven't had any more luck in the old window department. I am so going to do this and tell a few friends who are looking for old windows. Your garland is really cute too.
I am following you now : )

Sass - aka - Kathy said...

Love it! Won't you consider sharing with my readers at http://sassafrassalvation.blogspot.com/2012/01/sasss-sunday-salvation-show-7.html ?

Plus, someone crafty was featured after last week's Salvation Show!

Hugs,

Kathy

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

What a genius idea!

tkoblondee said...

So glad I found this!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...